Impact Investment Associate Job Description
Location: Boston, MA
Industry: Non-profit / Financial Services
Employment Type: Full-time
Please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please include IMPACT INVESTMENT ASSOCIATE in subject of email.
The Boston Impact Initiative Fund (BII) has a unique role in the field of impact investing. Our fund is focused on economic justice, which means that we invest in opportunity for all people.
BII seeks to invest in organizations and initiatives —both for-profit and not-for-profit—that are committed to creating a better future for Massachusetts’ youth and families.
BII pioneers an integrated capital approach for capital deployment. We believe that we can best support the creation of resilient local economies by using a range of integrated capital tools: loans, credit enhancements, equity investments, royalty finance, direct public offerings, crowdfunding, grants and more.
The Impact Investment Associate plays a significant role in BII’s integrated capital strategy. The primary responsibilities include vetting prospective investments and providing on-going support to existing portfolio companies. Responsibilities also include:
- Maintain a thorough understanding of the investment thesis and mission of BII.
- Conduct due diligence for prospective investment opportunities.
- Maintain portfolio tracking reports and written documentation on investment decisions.
- In collaboration with colleagues, discover, define and evaluate new investment opportunities and their fit in the portfolio.
- Research and present analyses of the total portfolio performance and risk profile.
- Attend and participate in Investment Committee meetings.
- Collect legal documents from companies and liaise with fund attorneys to put together documents for investment.
- Coordinate and attend annual meetings with portfolio companies, assist with analysis of impact data, assist with annual impact report, and assist with on-going impact management of portfolio.
- Track technical assistance provided to portfolio companies.
- Update portfolio company summaries and social media posts (with the assistance of interns).
- Perform any and all other duties and responsibilities of a similar nature and character those above, which may be assigned and/or directed.
- Demonstrated interest in and understanding of economic justice, sustainability, and/or related topics.
- Excellent skills in quantitative analysis, problem solving and general critical thinking.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Self-starter and ability to work independently.
- Resourceful, proactive, able to prioritize and navigate in a fast-paced team-oriented environment.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and to meet deadlines with minimal supervision
- Excellent organization, attention to detail and follow-through.
- Unquestioned ability to handle confidential information in a professional manner
- Possess analytical skills and an interest in financial markets, public policy and social and environmental issues.
- Proficiency with MS Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint).
- Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of three years of relevant work experience in FP&A, Corporate Finance, and/or Business Controller positions.
- Knowledge of investment assets (e.g. stocks, bonds, property, commodities, cash) and markets. Knowledge of analytical methods for determining fair value and an investment’s merits. Knowledge of investment implementation methods, including types of fund vehicles (e.g. mutual funds, ETFs, private partnerships) and typical fund terms in both public and private asset classes.
The Boston Impact Initiative Fund is an equal opportunity employer. Boston residents, women, people of color, immigrants, queer and gender nonconforming people strongly encouraged to apply.