Location: Boston, MA
Industry: Non-profit / Financial Services
Employment Type: Full-time
Contact: Please send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please include INVESTMENT DIRECTOR in the title of your email.
The Boston Impact Initiative Fund is an impact investing fund dedicated to closing the racial wealth divide. We invest integrated capital (equity, debt and grants) in regenerative local enterprises that restore the productive capacity of communities of color in Eastern Massachusetts. We are a 501(c)3 charitable loan fund that has raised $7M from values-aligned accredited and non-accredited investors.
We are seeking a full-time Investment Director to partner with our Impact Director in developing and managing a strong and vibrant portfolio. We are seeking someone who shares our beliefs that:
- Current capital markets aren’t working
- Investment decisions should not be strictly financial
- We have much to learn from emerging models of impact investing, solidarity economics and justice movements
As Investment Director, you’ll identify innovative and inclusive opportunities for lending and investing, manage and monitor portfolio performance, and build partnerships with local organizations. The successful candidate has experience in deal origination, financial analysis, capital structuring and portfolio management, and a willingness to apply those skills in directing capital toward racial justice.
The Investment Director will maintain good relations and integrity in the community and in transactions with prospective and completed investments. We are committed to healthy, long-term relationships with our portfolio companies, providing technical assistance so we can support their efforts to grow their business and deepen their social impact. An essential responsibility of this position is to model what can be done with capital and partnerships to help build a resilient and equitable local economy.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Serve in a high-visibility leadership role to help transform local economy investing practices
- Identify opportunities for investing, lending and grantmaking
- Perform robust investment analysis, due diligence and market research
- Select and present investment opportunities to investment committee
- Coordinate closing process, including impact covenants and capital disbursement
- Maintain healthy relationships with all portfolio organizations by supporting them in increasing financial resilience and social impact
- Measure and track portfolio companies to ensure they meet impact and financial targets and reporting obligations
DESIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in lending and/or investing
- Demonstrated interest in and understanding of economic justice, racial justice, gender equity, sustainability, and/or related topics
- Possess analytical skills and an interest in financial markets, public policy and social and environmental issues
- Excellent skills in quantitative analysis and creative approach to structuring debt and equity investments
- Ability to be self-directed; entrepreneurial experience a plus
- Willingness to continuously learn and adapt
- Resourceful, proactive, able to prioritize and navigate in a fast-paced team-oriented environment.
- Strong project management skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills including verbal and written communication
- Excellent organization, attention to detail and follow-through.
- Experience living and working in Boston a plus
- Bilingual in Spanish a plus
The Boston Impact Initiative Fund is an equal opportunity employer. Boston residents, women, people of color, immigrants, queer and gender nonconforming people strongly encouraged to apply.