The Boston Impact Initiative Fund is an impact investing fund dedicated to closing the racial wealth divide. We invest integrated capital (equity, debt and grants) in regenerative local enterprises that restore the productive capacity of communities of color in Eastern Massachusetts. We are a 501(c)3 charitable loan fund that has raised capital from values-aligned accredited and non-accredited investors.
Since 2017, BII’s Fund I has invested over $7.1 million across 53 enterprises, and is on course to pay back all of its Fund I investors. BII is also building the field of racial justice impact investing nationally through our education and training for fund managers, investors and philanthropists that advances fresh perspectives on trust-based investing, balancing risk and return, and democratizing ownership and decision-making.
We’re proud of the impact we’ve had locally and we recognize the continued need for capital in and beyond Eastern Massachusetts. This Fall, BII will launch Fund II, a $20 million community-centered integrated capital fund that will invest in the people, places, and enterprises in Massachusetts and New England who share our vision of an equitable economy. The goal of Fund II is to help catalyze equitable opportunity for entrepreneurs of color, transform our portfolio and communities, and set a new standard for what impact equity investment looks like.
As we launch Fund II and expand our investing and field-building work, we are looking for a Senior Impact Investing Associate who will play a significant role in BII’s capital allocation strategy. The primary responsibilities include sourcing, analyzing, and diligencing prospective impact investments while providing pre-investment support to pipeline companies, performing portfolio analytics and reporting, and cultivating and managing partner relationships. The Sr. Impact Investment Associate should be able to lead a transaction from sourcing and analysis, through diligence and presentation, to documentation and close, and provide ongoing business support to existing portfolio companies.
- In collaboration with colleagues and community partners, discover, define and evaluate new impact investment opportunities and their fit in the BII portfolio.
- Conduct financial, business and impact due diligence; and build financial models and draft due diligence memos for prospective investments in preparation for Investment Committee meetings.
- Collect legal documents from companies and liaise with attorneys that draft investment documents.
- Provide financial, strategic, and impact coaching to portfolio companies.
- Coordinate and attend annual meetings with portfolio companies.
- Assist with analysis of impact data and annual impact report
- Support on-going impact management for the portfolio and pipeline companies.
- Research and present analyses of the portfolio performance and risk profile.
- Maintain pipeline and portfolio tracking reports and written documentation on investment decisions.
- There will also be the opportunity to also take on (or create) other projects that help drive the organization’s success.
- 3-5 years of relevant work experience in corporate finance, social impact investing, entrepreneurial, or business consulting and one of the following: MBA, Graduate degree in Finance, CFA or CAIA. Direct impact investing experience preferred.
- Demonstrated interest in and understanding of economic justice, gender equity, sustainability, and/or related topics.
- Strong skill set in quantitative analysis and financial modeling.
- Resourceful, proactive, able to prioritize and navigate in a fast-paced team-oriented environment.
- Unquestioned ability to handle confidential information in a professional manner.
- Knowledge of private market investing (e.g. equity, loans, convertible debt, royalty financing, guarantees) and capital markets. Knowledge of analytical methods for determining fair value and an investment’s merits.
- Relationship management skills to support ongoing small business growth.
- Bilingual in Spanish is a plus.
Compensation and Benefits
This is a full-time, exempt position based in Boston, MA. The salary range is $65,000 to $95,000 and commensurate with experience. BII offers a work environment that supports the unique needs of each employee to balance work and life. We offer a benefits package that includes flexible work options, healthcare, life insurance, short term disability, 401k plan with employer contribution, paid time off and professional development support.
BII is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we embrace diverse skills, perspectives, and ideas. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religious creed, national origin, sex, age, gender identity, disability, sexual orientation, military service, genetic information, and/or other status protected under law.