Impact Investment Associate
Location: Boston, MA
Industry: Non-profit / Financial Services
Employment Type: Full-time
The Boston Impact Initiative Fund is an impact investing fund dedicated to closing the racial wealth divide. We invest integrated capital (equity, debt and grants) in regenerative local enterprises that restore the productive capacity of communities of color in Eastern Massachusetts. We are a 501(c)3 charitable loan fund that has raised $7M from values-aligned accredited and non-accredited investors. We also host a cohort of 11 communities around the country seeking to design and launch integrated capital funds dedicated to closing the racial wealth divide.
BII pioneers an integrated capital approach for capital deployment. We believe that we can best support the creation of resilient local economies by using a range of integrated capital tools: loans, credit enhancements, equity investments, royalty finance, direct public offerings, crowdfunding, grants and more.
The Impact Investment Associate plays a significant role in BII’s integrated capital strategy. The primary responsibilities include vetting prospective investments and providing on-going support to existing portfolio companies. Responsibilities also include:
- Conduct due diligence for prospective investment opportunities.
- Maintain portfolio tracking reports and written documentation on investment decisions.
- In collaboration with colleagues, discover, define and evaluate new investment opportunities and their fit in the portfolio.
- Research and present analyses of the total portfolio performance and risk profile.
- Collect legal documents from companies and liaise with fund attorneys to put together documents for investment.
- Coordinate and attend annual meetings with portfolio companies, assist with analysis of impact data, assist with annual impact report, and assist with on-going impact management of portfolio.
- Track technical assistance provided to portfolio companies.
- Perform any and all other duties and responsibilities of a similar nature and character those above, which may be assigned and/or directed.
- Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of 1 year of relevant work experience in FP&A, Corporate Finance, and/or Business Controller positions.
- Demonstrated interest in and understanding of economic justice, gender equity, sustainability, and/or related topics.
- Excellent skills in quantitative analysis, problem solving and general critical thinking.
- Resourceful, proactive, able to prioritize and navigate in a fast-paced team-oriented environment.
- Unquestioned ability to handle confidential information in a professional manner.
- Knowledge of investment assets (e.g. stocks, bonds, property, commodities, cash) and markets. Knowledge of analytical methods for determining fair value and an investment’s merits. Knowledge of investment implementation methods, including types of fund vehicles (e.g. mutual funds, ETFs, private partnerships) and typical fund terms in both public and private asset classes.
- Bilingual in Spanish is a plus.
Compensation and Benefits
This is a full-time, exempt position. The salary range is $50,000 – $65,000 and commensurate with experience. Boston Impact Initiative offers a work environment that supports the unique needs of each employee to balance work and life. We offer a benefits package that includes an employee bonus pool, remote and flexible work options, health coverage, paid time off and professional development support.
How to Apply
The Boston Impact Initiative is an equal opportunity employer. Boston residents, women, people of color, immigrants, queer and gender nonconforming people strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply, please email your cover letter, resume, up to 3 references, and a link to your portfolio or examples of relevant work to email@example.com.
In your cover letter, please answer the following questions with no more than 3-5 bullet points per question:
- What about BII’s mission appeals to you?
- How does this role align with your current career trajectory?
- What aspects of your experience are you most eager to contribute toward this role?
- Anything else you would like us to know.
Our ideal start date for this role is April 2021 with interviews beginning in late February 2021. Applications will be evaluated as they arrive and the position will remain open until filled.
Job Posted on DATE 2/9/21